Conjugated Linoleic Acid or CLA is a group of chemicals that is found in the fatty acid called Linoleic Acid. CLA consists of at least 28 isomers of Linoleic Acid. The term conjugated is used if there is at least a pair of two bonds which is separated by a single bond. CLA is a fatty acid which is both a Trans and cis fatty acid. The cis fatty acid is considered to have many important health benefits. Trans fatty acids are generally considered bad for the health. However, the Trans fatty acid in a conjugated compound is not considered a Trans fat as recommended by the United States food regulations and labels.
According to studies, Conjugated Linoleic Acid helps in the reduction of body fat deposition. Thus preventing the likelihood of obesity and atherosclerosis or hardening of the arterial walls. CLA is also involved in the improvement of immune system function. In fact, CLA is widely used as an anti – cancer treatment. Some researches reveal that there is a reduction in the incidence of breast cancer with the use of CLA. More concretely, CLA use has indicated shrinking of tumors. It also has an antihistamine effect which has the capacity to relieve asthma and stabilize certain allergies.
The greatest dietary source of Conjugated Linoleic Acid is dairy products and meats especially beef. An average diet can only supply about 20 to 180 milligrams of conjugated linoleic acid everyday. In scientific research, to be able to achieve the benefit of body fat reduction in obese individuals, a dose of 2 to 5 grams daily has been used. It has been found to be effective in decreasing unnecessary body fats thus promoting weight loss.
Aside from its promising health benefit in weight loss, other advantages that Conjugated Linoleic Acid could provide its users are:
1. Basal Metabolic Rate Increase. This is also a contributing factor why CLA is used for weight loss. In patients with thyroid problems most especially hypothyroidism, CLA can also provide alleviation to its symptoms.
2. Reduce Abdominal Fats. CLA can help reduce the deposition of fats in the abdomen. The common medical precipitating factors of abdominal fat deposition are adrenal failure and hormonal discrepancies.
3. Improvement of Muscle Growth. More muscles mean lesser fats. A study shows that muscle burns fats. More muscle is also a factor to increased metabolism thus facilitating weight control.
4. Decrease bad cholesterol and triglycerides. In the case of people with thyroid problems, their low density lipoprotein or LDL and triglyceride levels are elevated. Thus, CLA is beneficial in terms of stabilizing bad cholesterol levels.
5. Lessen insulin resistance. CLA is beneficial among diabetic patients also. It can prevent adult – onset diabetes. With the normal concentration of insulin and proper adherence to its receptor sites, it can therefore prevent weight gain. CLA also has the capacity to normalize the metabolism of glucose in the body.
6. Enhancement of immune system functions. Studies reveal that conjugated linoleic acid has the ability to improve immune system functioning.
If you want to loose weight, boost your immune system and metabolism, give CLA a try. CLA can be found at your local or internet vitamin store. Always choose name brands like Now Foods to ensure quality and purity of the CLA supplement you buy for better health.